Friday, August 17, 2018

Star Island, here we come

Progress has been made on the kitchen, but I'm waiting to put up photos until we've got the countertops put in. We decided to go ahead and order new ones. Well, "we" actually means "I" because I knew when Warren decided he could cut the countertops himself - the ones I got on the cheap from the Re-store in Bangor - that they were toast. But it's okay - we ordered butcher block countertops from Viking. Eventually we'll refinish the floors, too...it's never ending, right?

The kids and I are about to embark upon a week-long adventure, slightly outside of Maine. We're going to a family camp/retreat center on Star Island, off the shore of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. We're leaving our technology behind, which I'm especially excited about. I am privileged to volunteer as one of the adult leaders of the high school aged group, and the kids will have camp activities with their own age groups, too. Then the kids and I will be together in the evenings and probably throughout different parts of each day - I don't know for sure, yet. This is our first time, and I look forward to posting pictures!

I'm excited to get away for many reasons, and honestly, one of them is that I feel I botched my first learning experience regarding the salmon farm thing going down in Belfast. My opinion at this point is an approximate "what's the problem in starting the process over...?" However, I got really irritable when questioned about GMOs, which I also need to learn more about. If there's one thing I struggle to understand, it's why everyone thinks I should pick a side on an issue without thinking about it. As I've said before, I think I'm patently incapable of being anything but myself, and sometimes, that means I take my time to come to a conclusion. Perhaps it's attributable to my career; I'm a natural fit for clinical therapy, at least through the social work lens, because I see both sides of many debates very easily.

Therefore, while I've been looking forward to this trip to Star Island anyway, the added bonus is that it will forcibly shut my social media mouth for a week. I'll also miss the planning board's ultimate decision regarding what they will recommend to City Council regarding the process of considering the salmon farm, but I know I'll hear about it as soon as I get back.

I've also been debating whether to take down my posts from while I was at the planning board public hearing, because they're pretty brusque and cynical - but I've ultimately decided to leave them up, though I'm going to edit the grammar, to be true to myself, and clear about my own foibles. I was expressing my thoughts at the time. I still think the new guy who hijacked the podium and tried to rile up the crowd was a narcissistic twerp, though.

At the beginning of next week, when the kids and I return, I'm planning a series of blog posts about municipal government and what it all means. How many people know what the role of a city's planning board is? What about the various appointed committees (including one I quit) - who knows what they are for? I'd like to write all of this down to summarize and make city government understandable for anyone with an interest.

So - happy trails! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment